Concrete is strong against the forces of compression. Nevertheless, concrete has low tensile strength as well as flexibility. Hence, engineers recommend the use of steel reinforcing mesh while building concrete slabs. Engineers and professionals in the construction industry rate reinforced concrete as a ubiquitous building material. If used alone, concrete is quite brittle when compared to your expectation, hence, it is hardly useful in constructing properties. A steel bar makes the best reinforcement when building as it bonds well with concrete. Also, its expansion and contraction due to temperature changes are similar to that of concrete.
Hence, one of the causes for choosing steel is its significance in the property’s structural architecture. Steel suppliers stock two types of steel bars utilized in construction. The type of steel to use on your property depends on the application. Here is an overview of the types of steel bars available in the market today.
1. The Mild Steel Bars
The mild steel bar is plain on the surface and features round sections with a diameter of about 6 to 50 millimeters. This kind of steel bar comes in long length as it can be cut quickly and bends easily without causing damage.
2. High Strength Deformed Steel Bars
The high-strength deformed steel bar features lugs and ribs, or deformations on the bar’s surface, to enhance the concrete bond. These are usually twisted to strengthen the bonding with concrete. The structural engineers prefer cold twisted bars for use in constructing properties.
Hence, purchasing steel bars, explain the steel suppliers the intended use to avoid inconveniences. Trusted steel suppliers would listen to the customer keenly, making sure that they supply the right type of steel bars for your construction.
What to Check When Purchasing Steel Bars
Purchasing construction materials might appear overwhelming, specifically if you are a newcomer. In that regard, you must research further to avoid purchasing low-quality steel bars. Here are important considerations you might want to check when buying the steel bars.
- Talk to the structural engineer for recommendations of the right steel bar for your construction type.
- Only purchase the grade of steel bar prescribed in the drawing or the list given by the construction engineer.
- Check the bars’ identification mark to ensure you are purchasing steel bars manufactured by experienced professionals.
- Talk to your steel suppliers for the best steel bar brand recommendations available in your region.
- Check the steel reinforcing mesh for rust films. There must not be any rust film on the steel bars.
- Use the vernier caliper to check the diameter of the steel bar.
- Avoid purchasing steel bars from the companies through rerolled or scrap metal as the raw materials. These are likely to have higher carbon content and are prone to corrosion.
Steel bars are a critical component when constructing through the use of concrete. Never be duped into using concrete without applying the steel reinforcing mesh. Steel and concrete bond is integral when laying slabs. Always source concrete from professional steel suppliers near you.